Hot stone massage is a specialty massage that uses smooth, heated stones. They are often basalt, a black volcanic rock that absorbs and retains heat well, but they can be other types. The heat is both deeply relaxing and helps tight muscles release
What Happens During a Hot Stone Massage?
* Before you arrive, the massage therapist sanitizes the stones (very important!) and heats them in 120 to 150 degree water.
* During the massage, the therapist warms up the body with traditional Swedish massage, then massages you while holding a heated stone. As the stone cools, the therapist replaces it with another.
* The therapist might also leave heated stones in specific points along your spine, in the palms of your hand, on your belly, or even between your toes to improve the flow of energy in your body.
* If you have inflammation or muscle injury, cold stones are sometimes used.
How Much Does a Hot Stone Massage Cost?
A hot stone massage is more expensive than a basic Swedish massage because it requires more preparation and clean-up and usually runs longer. A typical hot stone massage is IDR136.000, but the price can go higher.
What You Need To Know About Hot Stone Massage:
* The therapist uses many stones of various shapes and sizes.
* The heat of the stones helps muscles release more quickly than in traditional massage.
* You should speak up if the stones are too warm or the pressure too intense.
* Technique is very important. Less experienced practitioners sometimes use too much pressure.
* Small local day spas might have less experienced therapists. If you have any doubts, ask where the therapist learned hot stone massage, and how long she has done it.
*Hot stones warmed by fire were used by Native Americans to feel better, but Mary Nelson, a native of Tucson, Arizona, is generally credited with its revival. She trademarked her style, called LaStone Therapy. Most spas offer their own versions of hot stone massage.
*Lava shell massage is another way to get heat into a massage.